Sunday, August 18, 2013

Global Chick: What You Should Probably Know About Me


Born and raised in Czech Republic, I had a feeling of not quite fitting in since I was a little girl. Every time I watched a movie from another country, there were butterflies in my stomach and my heart was whispering “one day you will go there”. And I did. I spent six months in England in my mid-twenties and then came to the United States, where I have been living ever since. 

I still don’t always fit in, but Americans are much nicer to me about it than Czechs, and so I feel much more home here than anywhere else :-)
 
My problem is that I’m a non-conformist who likes doing things her way and doesn’t like others telling her what to do and how to do it, especially when it comes to her personal business. I value freedom, autonomy, and independence more than anything in the world, and so I prefer living in a country that lets me be, at least for the most part.

As much as I love the United States, I consider myself a global citizen (hence the title of my blog). Patriotism of any kind is a foreigner concept to me. We are all human beings; we all share space in the Universe. Who cares what language we speak or whether we celebrate Christmas!? I like to focus on what brings people closer, not the other way around.

I am fascinated by the opportunity to live in a multicultural society, where one can meet people of different colors, languages, religions, and life philosophies. Diversity is the spice of life! 

Sometimes I dream about building a global community where people are loved and accepted for who they are. Everyone has the freedom to make choices about how to live and yes, even to say no to their culture if it’s rules and expectations don’t work for them anymore! People feel connected and related to each other. And of course, it’s totally easy being green :-) Sort of what John Lennon is singing about here

This blog is about me trying to make sense of the world.

Oh – and I swear like an old sailor! If it bothers you, you probably shouldn’t be here.

No comments: